"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 29 1863. Payday.

Harper's Weekly
February 28, 1863
"January 29. The paymaster was in camp yesterday, and paid off the regiment. To-day there is much rejoicing in camp among the boys, who have received two months pay in "Uncle Sam's" green backs. The ground is covered with snow."  J. C. Williams, Corporal, Co. B, 14th Regiment, Life in Camp, 76 (1864)


"camp near wolf run Va. Jan. 29th, 1863   Well Father we have just got our pay from the 19th of August up to the first of November amounting to $31.63 and as the orderly has been promoted he wants more mony than he has got to get his uniform.   So I have let him have ten dollers and shall [send] his note for it in this letter and perhaps a greenback.

"Steve is Second Lieut. and Fred Small is orderly.  The drum Major is our fifth Seargent apointed by the Colonel so that he can draw more pay I suppose that it is all right but it does not look just right.

"George Dimick is captain of Co. I in place of Capt. Bounty resigned Lieutenant Wait had the chance but would not leave the company for he said that he promised to stick by the Co. and nothing but sickness or death would deter him from so doing.

"I have felt rather hard up last night and to day have ate to day just two hard crackers and that is all. But I guess that I shall come out all right by to morrow I am now a going to see Wilber and when I get back I will write how he is."  
Jabez H. Hammond, West Windsor, age 20, Sgt. Co. A, 12th Regt,Letter No. 22


"Upon my return that evening to camp I learned much to my joy that the Paymaster had arrived and that we were to receive some return for our valuable services to one excellent Uncle Samuel. The men were paid from the date of the organization of their companies to October 31st and the field officers from the date of their commissions to the 31st October only. I had expected to be paid until the 31st of December, but I was disappointed with all the others. I have since learned that had I gone to Washington after I had been Provost Marshall one month I could have got that months pay. I being on detached service. As it is I only got after deducting the 3 percent tax which officers have to pay $192.60 of this amount I shall send you within a week - just as soon as the Paymaster returns from Wolf Run Shoals - a draft for the sum of $100, which you can get cashed at any bank in the state." ~ Lt. Col. Charles Cummings, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter No. 18, January 29, 1863. VHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment