"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Thursday, November 6, 1862. Lonely and cold; a night ride.

"Camp Vermont Va 
Nov 6th 1862
"My own perfect wife
"I just got your letter of Nov 2nd Had been thinking about you in bed all the morning & wishing something dreadfully & when I got up yr letter came in. My own sweet pet I do love you so tight, darling darling, I am writing this to send by Mr. Tripp. Am sorry to have him go, I dont know how to get along without him, but I guess he will come back, says he will. 

"We moved down here below Alexandria last Monday They keep us on the move about all the time. Dont know when we shall move again but hope it will be soon & out of this, Cassey’s Div-
"My health is good & I like my officers & men & everything but this Div.
"Col. Cummings is an excellent officer, so is Major Rounds.
"The 13th N.H. is near here I have seen Cols Stevens & Bowers, shall go over & call on them when I get time, but not till I have got up some of my letters to you my own sweet pet. ...You must be very careful. Dont get tired by over action. Mr. Tripp is waiting and I must let him have this, but he can tell you all about me & everything else.
"All I need to say is that I love you so dearly My own wife. If I could only see you a few minutes I should be happy. Write me all you can. Yr letters are splendid. Good by my own Angel, I must close. Be a good girl
"Yr own fond husband"  ~ Col. Wheelock G. Veazey, Letter to Julia, November 6, 1862. UVM Center for Digital Initiatives


"[C]old and windy, very much like our fall weather here in Vermont." ~ E. D. Keyes, 1st Lieutenant, Company H, Sixteenth Regiment, writing as "Duane" in letter of November 7, 1862 to Bellows Falls Times, published November 14,1862.




"Thursday 6th Had Co. & Battalion drill. The Capt is at Washington going to stay until tomorrow. "~ Joseph Spafford,  1st Lieutenant, Company E, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter, November 9, 1862



"Thursday I was field Officer of the Day and as such had charge of the pickets. These consist of four companies and are stationed from 2 to 3 miles from camp, the chain extending from the Potomac irregularly 8 miles westward. I visited all the posts twice in the daytime and once in the night. In the 24 hours I rode from 40 to 50 miles horseback, though forest, ravines, pastures, and bush and brier.

"The night visit was pleasant in the extreme. The major accompanied me at his own request to learn how to discharge the duties. My only draw back was a persistent diarrhea that caused me frequently to dismount. The night was light as the moon was near her full and the excitement of enjoying the pickets of riding up hill and down, jumping fences, ravines, ditches and dogging boughs, etc., I cannot portray.

"The night ride was made as rapidly as possible consistent with my duty and yet it took me from 8 1/2 p.m. to 3 a.m., it was cold but I did not suffer much where I touched the saddle looked the next morning like half done mutton and was about as tender.  Lt. Col. Charles Cummings, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter No. 4. November 8, 1862. VHS.    




No comments:

Post a Comment