"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tuesday, March 24, 1863. The 14th, 15th and 16th move camp; the 12th and 13th on patrol at Wolf Run Shoals

"24th. The Brigade moved to-day to Union Mills about seven miles. Had to work very hard in order to get my tent in order, in order to get a place to sleep. The Third Brigade has gone to Centerville."  Diary of Oliver A. Browne, Co. K, 15th Regiment

The [16th] regiment moved down the railroad about six miles on a high point near Union Mills. ~Russell and Emery, Regimental History

"March 24. In camp near Wolf Run Shoals, Virginia. Orders came yesterday to be ready to march at seven o'clock this morning. Accordingly tents were struck, and the regiment in line at the appointed hour, ready to move off. We were hard up for field officers, the Colonel being absent in Washington at the time orders were received. Lieut. Col. Rose was unable to go with us in consequence of bruises received by being thrown from his horse on the previous night. Major Hall was not well, having just returned from home, where he had been sick some time. The command then devolved upon Capt. Gore of Company A, but he being sick, it fell upon Capt. Thompson of Company B (who, by the way, is noteworthy of his straps), to act as Colonel. We arrived here at ten o'clock in the forenoon, the distance being seven miles. Our present camp is but a few rods from the one we were in last November while here, and but a few rods from the 12th and 13th." ~ J. C. Williams, Corporal, Co. B, 14th Regiment, Life in Camp, 99 (1864)

["The 14th regiment arrived in our camp and took up their position just west of (the 13th) regiment, further up the stream." ~ Pictorial history Thirteenth Regiment Vermont Volunteers]

"March 24. Before daylight a few sick were started off for the hospitals in Washington, in the ambulances. 

"Fifty were sent over the river, in pursuit of wagons covered with cloth, as some thought; but when they reach the spot, only white cows are to be seen. Crossing and recrossing was accomplished slowly, as they were paddled over in a newly made boat that leaked so that two men were needed to dip out the water. 

"A few days ago ten privates and two sergeants were detailed to act as scouts. One of these, just before roll call, comes into camp, who has "got track of some rebs," he says. So in fifteen or twenty minutes, ninety men and officers-all volunteers-are starting down the river, guided by the Scout of the Occoquan, a romantic nickname that somebody had given to the tallest scout, and one whose fondness for roving was never surpassed by a wild Indian's. It is a warm night, but dark, and at times raining furiously."  ~ Lt. Edwin Palmer, 13th Regiment,  The Second Brigade: or, Camp Life, By a Volunteer (1864) 

["the sick were sent by ambulances to the railroad station, and from there to hospitals in Alexandria and Washington by cars, and some to Vermont which seemed to indicate and confirm the rumor about camp that we were soon to move..." ~ Pictorial history Thirteenth Regiment Vermont Volunteers]]

["The river was now high, and we could not pass at the ford, and Colonel Randall therefore ordered a boat to be built, and on the 22nd and 23rd, the regiment turned out and made a boat from boards taken from the grist mill nearby, not a very nice smooth job, but we launched it and crossed over six or eight at a time, and in this manner two companies went over and found the moving wagons we had seen in the distance to be white cows feeding in an open pasture, (and nothing more) and returned as we went. Major L. D. Clark had command of this naval expedition. Major Clark had been a sea captain on Lake Champlain."~ Pictorial history Thirteenth Regiment Vermont Volunteers]

"Tuesday 24th. This A.M. Reg't engaged in preparing new ground for a new camp. I worked pretty hard in P.M. cutting timber & went home quite tired. Commenced to rain about night fall. Played Old Sledge with H.G.C. till about 9 P.M. As there was no tatoo we suspected that something was in the wind & we were doubly certain of it when the Orderly came & detailed us to go, with others, on patrol. We went in the rain & mud & travelled more or less all night, & returned at day-break, tired, wet, hungry, & mad at Col. Randall for getting up another scare. We did not see or hear anything suspicious & subsequent developments show that is is "Randall raid" no 2. If these things continue we shall doubly wish for our trusty Col. Blunt."  Diary of Horace Barlow, 94, Co. C, 12th Regiment

No comments:

Post a Comment