"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Monday, December 10, 2012

December 10, 1862, Change of command; officers' housing.

Edwin H. Stoughton, 24
Chester
“Camp Vermont, Fairfax County, VA
December 10th, 1862
“This evening I am in the Colonel’s old quarters. He has moved into his new house, and I am building mine. I shall complete it before Sunday and there I shall be ready to receive company. … The whole cash expense to me will be about $3.00 - for lock, hinges, spikes, and latches. The timber is confiscated and the labor besides what I do is done by the men.

“…Gen. Stoughton arrived in camp last Sunday and assumed the command of the regiment. John Wheeler and John Curtis Tyler are not of the staff. Capt. John S. Tyler of company C, 2nd Vermont Regiment to be chief staff as Assistant Adjutant General provided he can get relieved of his command - which is probably. 

"The General made his headquarters with the 16th until he got his ready in the “Mason” house nearby. He likes the 16th and both the officers and men will fare better under him than under Col. Blunt. I am heartily glad of the change.

“… I am very well - never felt better or ate heartily in my life. I eschew turkey, chicken, sauces, etc, and confine myself to beef, pork, oysters when I can get them, bread, potatoes, onions butter and cheese with tea and coffee, not all at one meal of course. I mean my food shall be plain, well cooked and nutritious. But I will not encourage any fancy appetite I have not drank a quart of liquor since I left Brattleboro in fact only now and there I last it, about the same as at home. I weigh 162 pounds and my muscular strength seems almost twice as great as it used to.

 “…I get my washing done, after a fashion, by a family of Negroes close by camp. It cost me about 62 cents per dozen, and without ironing. As soon as my clothing is returned by my servant hang them up on a line across my tent over the stove when they remain until they are wanted to wear.

 “…  Since my last letter two of the sick in the hospital have died both of typhoid fever. … Those who come from the high hill towns do not acclimate as well as those from the river and valley towns. The dampness in the night here is not unlike the fogs &tc., at home.

 “Give my love to mother and the usual for to our dear children, and likewise me always Loving husband. ~ Lt. Col. Charles Cummings, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter No. 8 or 9,  December 10, 1862. VHS. 

"December 10. ... The General has gone to on a visit with some of his friends. Col. Stoughton is his brother, from the Vermont Fourth Regiment. They are having a high time."  ~ Diary of Oliver A. Browne, Co. K, 15th Regiment.



[George E. Davis, Halifax, VT, age 21,  Pvt, Co. F, 16th VT INF, died of disease 12/10/62.]

No comments:

Post a Comment