"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Saturday, December 22, 2012

December 22, 1862. All is calm

"Yesterday I saw Gen. Baxter, Col. S. M. Waite and Frank Holbrook. The Governor could not come out. It is good to see a face from Brattleboro. Col. Waite said he would see you and tell you that I was in prime condition.


"I should like several things from home that I could name, but then is but little use in sending them, for the delays and perplexities in getting them out here, to say nothing of our liability to move into some out of the way place ... I had rather get along as I do now. I get enough to eat in the course of the day by hazing around. I have bought some butter, the commissary gave me some coffee, sugar, and bread. I have a coffee pot and I got asked to eat with some sutler every little while, ...


"It is not very likely that we shall remain here long. Gen. Slocum commanding the 12th Army Corps has his head quarters here. His troops are all the way from Fairfax Station to Dumfries. We are still attached to Casey’s Division headquarters of which is at Washington. If we move it will probably be in the direction of Dransville, which is a little way in the direction of Harpers’ Ferry.


"Col. Veazey went to Washington Wednesday of last week and returned Friday. His wife met him there and returned home again. Col. Proctor was in Washington about he same time to see his wife but she did not come. I should like you here on some accounts but the total uncertainty of one movements is such that a visit now would be troublesome to you and perplexing to me for there are no carriage in this part of the world, and the roads defy carriages. ...

"There is no danger of the 16th seeing very active service at present. I have written so many passes for white folks and Negroes to go to Washington to get something for Christmas that my hand aches so, I will not prolong. ~ Lt. Col. Charles Cummings, Sixteenth Regiment, Leftter No. 12, December 22, 1862. VHS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment