"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Tuesday, December 9, 1862. Typhoid fever takes two.

"Dear Sister –I beleive I have not written you for a number of days so will do so to day. ... I sent the pipe I had whittled out to father, I’m going to make Alfred one if I get time. Az recd a box from home the other day. There was a bag of pickles in it which had leaked all over the rest of the stuff & nearly spoiled it.

"The 13th 14th & 15th Regts have got back. They went over near the Bull Run battlefield. Our Regt & the 12th did all the picketing while they were gone.

"Stoughton arrived here yesterday to take command of this Brigade. I dont think any body would have felt bad if he had gone somewhere else....

"I wish you could look into our house & see how comfortably we live. I think you would not worry much about us while we remain here. ...

"Our Regt lost a man last night, [ ] Moore of Co. F.* there is another** from the same Co. that Geo. says will not live until tomorrow morning.

"I dont see why I cant get letters in two days as I used to last winter. Now I hardly ever get your letters that are written sunday until thursday or friday.

"... There is nothing new to write but I thought you might wish to hear from us so I have written. George is going to write so I will close." ~ Joseph Spafford, 1st Lieutenant, Company E, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter, December 9, 1862, UVM



[* Hiland B. Moore, Dover, VT, age 17,  PVT, Co. F, 16th VT INF,  died 12/8/62 (typhoid fever), Alexandria, Va]

[** Beginning with Hiland Moore on December 8, 5 members of Company F died of disease by year end; there were only 2 deaths in the other 9 companies.]


"My Darling Wife,
"I have moved into my new hut & am all ready for you, so I reckon you had better come. ... 
"Yr husband
"Let me know in season if you come. I have no money to send you" ~  Col. Wheelock G. Veazey, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter to Julia, December 9, 1862. UVM Center for Digital Initiatives 






No comments:

Post a Comment