"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Friday, April 26, 2013

April 26, 1863. General Stannard reviews the 13th.

On Sunday April 26th, about nine o'clock. General George J. Stannard made his first official visit to our regiment.~ Ralph Orson Sturtevant, Pictorial History of the 13th Regiment Vermont Volunteers 153 (1910)

"Sunday morning. I am on guard today. I have just come in from guard mounting so I am out of the review and inspection that is coming off today. Gen. Stannard, our Brigadier, is going to be here although he has not got along yet. 

"The fruit trees here are in full blossom. The grass has started so that cattle can get a good living. There are plenty of cows here but no sheep. They have all played out, as the boys say. 

"I wish you would get me a fishline and send me and I will make it all right, if you will write that you have to pay for it. Get the stoutest one that you can, for here are some big fish here. I have seen some that weight three pounds and they are a little too much for any line that we can get here. 


"Lieutenant Palmer is on duty again. The trouble that he and the Captain did not amount too much, only for a few days. He has got his sword and is all right again. I can not think of anything more to write as the drums are beating for review. I have not got to go out but I can’t write in such a noise and it is almost time to go on guard. ..."James Willson, 13th Regt., pvt, Co. B. , Letter #41 (VHS)

"April 26. Review. In the morning, hair is cut, whiskers trimmed, boots made to shine a little brighter; in fine, the "finishing touch" is put on to everything, as our General is present, for the first time. The review passes off finely and agreeably to all." ~ Lt. Edwin Palmer, 13th Regiment,  The Second Brigade: or, Camp Life, By a Volunteer (1864)

This entry ends a two-week gap in Palmer's journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment