"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Sunday, February 10, 2013

February 10, 1863. Signs of Spring

"Camp near wolfs run Va Feb 10th 1863

"... I was out [on picket] Sunday ... the weather was warm & the Sky was clear & in the morning the robbins Sang Sweetly making one think of the warm & lovely mornings in the last days of april such as we are used to Seeing in old Vermont. ...


"This forenoon we had some shooting at a target for practice. This afternoon I have cleaned my gun & sewed some stripes on to my coat sleaves & that is about all I have done. To morrow if nothing happens I am going to do my washing The weather to day has been very warm & pleasant & some of the citizens here are drawing manure which makes it seem like Spring."  Jabez H. Hammond, West Windsor, age 20, Sgt. Co. A, 12th Regt,  Letter no. 27

"Tuesday 10th. Diarrhea less driving, but still the same terrible, griping pain in the bowels, that I have had for several days back. The Reg't is engaged in keeping picket up & down the river; some 6 or 7 miles up, on Bull Run, & some 2½ miles down, to one ford, below the "Sally Davis" ford."Diary of Horace Barlow, 81, Co. C, 12th Regiment

No comments:

Post a Comment