"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Monday, February 25, 2013

February 25, 1863. Wounded in a snow-ball fight.

"Camp near wolfs run Va. Feb. 25th 1863

"It is just five months to day since I left my home up in old Vermont near old Ascutney mountain to try and do my duty for my country & my home.  During that time I have seen some pretty hard times & some that were not so hard as I could expect. The hardest time that I have seen was a week ago yesterday & today. Also a week come to morrow when I started in the snow and marched seven miles with the mud knee deep   ... (with it snowing & raining all of the time) & started back got to camp at three o'clock without a wink of sleep in the whole time and my birth day in stead of being to home... 

"Last night there was a lot of us out snowballing when there was a ball hit me in my right eye & nearly knocked me down. I have done nothing to day & as I write one eye is covered up with a hankercheif & the other one ought to be for as you might say I am blind in one eye & cant see very well out of the other one.

"They have called for a Sergt to morrow on picket & as there is no other but me. I shall have to go or else send a corporeal in my place. Can tell better in the morning. 

"The boys are well.  Ira* & Henry** left here this morning for the hospital.   Ira was as tough as a bear. Ira says that he has not received any letters from you. He says direct to Ira M. Hammond Post hospital Fairfax court House Va. in care of Surgeon S Ketchum & he will run the risk but what he shall get them.

"Capt. S has gone to Alexandra after Father Wait.   He is returned for duty. I would write you more to night but my eye says that I have wrote enough so I will Stop. Jabez H. Hammond, West Windsor, age 20, Sgt. Co. A, 12th Regt Letter No. 29


* Ira Mallory Hammond of West Windsor, age 27,  Pvt, Co. A, 12th Vt, was Jabez' oldest brother.
** Possibly Henry Holmes  Hammond, of West Windsor, age 33,  2d Sgt, Co. A, 12th Vt, discharged 1/5/63

No comments:

Post a Comment