"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Friday, June 12, 1863.

James Willson
(1842-1863)
Killed at Gettysburg
"Camp Carusi 
"June 12th, 1863 
"Grandfather and Grandmother

"I will try to write you a few lines to let you know that I am alive and well and expect to be at home in about a month from now. That is longer than I expected when I left but it can’t be helped, so we may as well hold our tongues and do our duty as before for it will not do any good to complain. Uncle Sam has a notion of doing things as he has a mind to and he will not bear to be dictated much, if any.

"June 12th. I will try and finish the letter this morning so as I have to start this morning. The weather here in Va. is most awful warm. There has not been any rain here over thirty days at all and only once in awhile a shower for as long before that. The rye and wheat are headed out nicely and everything is nice. We think, though, the farmers say that everything is behind hand this spring. I wish you would write me now horses and cattle are setting now days. I most close now for it is mail time. 
~ James Willson, 13th Regt., pvt, Co. B., Letter #47, June 12, 1863 (VHS)

No comments:

Post a Comment