"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Monday, June 10, 2013

Wednesday, June 10, 1863

"Union Mills Va. June 10th 1863

"Dear Parents, I now seat myself to write you a few lines to let you know that I am not well, but a great deel better than I was yesterday. Last Sauterday morning I went out on picket & as it was very warm in the morning, I did not take any thing with me but my rubber Blanket & Overcoat it continued warm during the day & at night I went through the lines (a distance of about two miles) to carry the Countersign & I got pretty well warmed up & when I got back the wing began to blow & I never suffered more with the cold on picket that I did that night. I took a severe cold. 


"We got into camp monday noon & signed the payroll & got our pay. at six oclock there was a Battallion drill which lasted until about dark & yesterday morning there was a co. drill at Six Oclock. I drilled about an hour & I had to fall out & by the time that I got into camp I shook like popler leaf that followed me up about two hours & left me with a very high fever. But the Lieut. gave me a sweat, which made me feel better. 

"This morning I feel as if I was about eighty five. But I am in hopes to feel better by to morrow

"Col. Blunt says that it is his intention to have the regiment muster out on or before the 3rd of July & he calculates to start the regiment from here by the 27th or 28th of this month. The Quartermaster had orders to have everything ready by the 27th. so if things work to suit Col. Blunt, we shall be at home to celebrate the fourth.

"As I am about tired out. I will draw to a close. I sent home $20 last night by express which you will please to take charge or. Charles Stone & F G Shedd are rather hard up. caught cold while on picket. My best respects to all." Jabez H. Hammond, West Windsor, age 20, Sgt. Co. A, 12th Regt Letter No. 42, June 10, 1863

No comments:

Post a Comment