"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Saturday, June 13, 1863. Hooker's Army is on the move.

"13th. Hooker's army is on the move. They are at Rappahannock station. 14th and 11th Army Corps has gone to Centerville."
 
~ Diary of Oliver A. Browne, Co. K, 15th Regiment



"Saturday Eve June 13th 1863

"Dear Sister

"I write to night not because I have any thing to write, but because I have nothing else to do.

"For the last three or four weeks we have had nothing but hot, dry, weather & every time the wind blew a little the dust would fly like snow in the winter time; to night it looked quite like rain & I think we shall get at least a shower this time. We dont get many showers in this vacinity, in fact we have had only one yet this season. They either follow the Potomac down, or go south of us, & follow the Rappahannock.

"Present appearances seem to indicate that the rebs intend to give us another Bull Run fight. A portion of Hookers army have moved up near Bealton. ...

"... . I recd my pay to night $214.00. Shall send home $175.00 of it but I’m sure I dont know how, for there is no chance to get Paymasters Checks this time short of going into W. for them & its almost impossible to get a pass at present. I owe the odd $14. & shall need as much as the $25. before the 23d of July.... I shall at least save $250. out of what is paid me at Brattleboro which will make $900. saved in the 9 mos. I think that is doing pretty well to save that much tho’ probarbly some have done still better, & some very much worse....; if I cannot get the pass I shall send it in letters $20. at a time. I shall not send anything in this unless it is a little script, which perhaps would come handy for you to make change with. 
 Joseph Spafford, 1st Lieutenant, Company E, Sixteenth Regiment, Letter, June 13, 1863 (uvm)

No comments:

Post a Comment