"Who is this that looks forth like the dawn, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as an army with banners?"

Friday, June 28, 2013

Sunday June 28, 1863. "... from near Edward Ferry toward Frederick Md."


"... from near Edward Ferry toward Frederick Md." 
~From the Diary of Wheelock G. Veazey, Colonel, 16th Vermont Regiment.(VHS)




Lt. Col Charles Cummings
16th Vt. Regt.
"Near Poolesville, MD - June 28th, 1863 

"My Dear Wife, 
Thursday afternoon we started from Union Mills and marched a mile north of Centerville and camped. It rained all night. 

The next day we started and went 12 miles to Herndon’s Station above Vienna and camped. I was Field Officer of the Day. 

"The next day we went to the Potomac crossed on pontoon bridges and arrived at Poolesville about sun down, marching about 17 miles and crossing at Edwards Ferry, 30 miles above Washington. 

"This Sunday morning we started at 8:30 for Frederick City. There are 40,000 or more troops around us all bound up into Maryland to meet Lee who is supposed by us underlings to be somewhere northwest of us. There is considerable prospect that we may encounter the rebs in a fight. 

"We go into the 1st Army corps. Maj. Reynolds commanding. The old brigade is close to us, and last night I saw many of the officers. My health is excellent. I am living on hardtack and raw pork and glad to get enough of that, but I do enjoy the march.

"I am writing this sitting on the ground, my horses saddled and my equipment by my side. Our march today will be about 20 miles.

"This seems like the reality of a soldier’s life, and I expect a fight will put on the finishing touches.

"I got your letter of the 21st Thursday, a few minutes before we started and after I had written you a line. When I shall get another of your good letters I do not know nor do I even guess when this will be mailed. It will be dropped into the first Post office that we come across, perhaps today.

"My dear wife if I get into a fight I shall endeavor to do my duty with discretion and faithfully, trusting the results to that kind Providence who rules has thus far shielded and presented us, and strewn our path with so much happiness.

"Kiss the dear children for their absent but not forgetful papa. - Love to all your loving husband - Charles. 
~ Lt. Col. Charles Cummings, Sixteenth Regiment, Letters June 28, 1863. VHS.



"Sunday 28th Marched at 8 A.M. Crossed the Monocacy river at a Ford, in P.M. & Passed thro' a splendid country, most of the day. I have no time to waste in description. Encamped about a mile N. of Adamstown a station on the B & Ohio R.R. about 10 miles S of Frederick. Marched about 16 miles & were foot sore & tired everyway". Diary of Horace Barlow (UVM), 136, Horace Barlow, Pvt., Co. C, 12th Regiment

"June 28. Marched again this morning at seven o'clock; crossed the Monocacy river near its mouth about noon, and halted for rest. At one o'clock the march was resumed. Passed Adamsville, on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, about six o'clock in the evening, and have gone into camp for the night two miles beyond."~ John C. Williams, Corporal, Co. B, 14th Regiment, Life in Camp 136 (1864)

"June 28, 1863. Camp near Adamstown. Marched all day. Adamstown was a very nice little place. I see five or six nice looking ladies. the Rebs were in this town last night but have gone to-day. Paid fifty cents for a loaf of bread." ~ Diary of Frederick L. Reed, Orderly Sergt., Co.. D, 14th Regt., (Memorial Exercises, Castleton VT 1885, p 57-59)

No comments:

Post a Comment